These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedelectricscooters.com
ModifiedElectricScooters.com

TOYMASTERS of RED BANK, Inc.
TOLL-FREE (877) 456-8697
Razor, Peg Perego, Little Tikes, Safety First and more Parts and Service.
ONLY $6.99 shipping on all orders to lower 48 States

RedBankToys.com
:: Razor & Peg Perego etc Upgrades, Modifications, how to fix
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 How can I make my scooter go faster w/pictures
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  09:41:09  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
How can I upgrade my scooter? As you can see on the pictures, the wheels are pretty big so it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Norway.

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
Looks like a nice scooter. Looks like lots of room for batteries under that big seat.

What upgrades are you interested in doing? More speed? More range? Better hill climbing?

You will need to tell us a few things about the scooter. Start with the voltage and wattage of the motor and amp-hour ratings of the batteries.
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  03:44:38  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
I want more speed.

Battery: 12v 12AH (I have 2, theyre connected with eachother.)

I dont know anything about the battery though. Only that the scooter goes about 15 mph.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
Well, it looks like a Currie brush-type motor to me. I'm guessing that your two 12v 12ah batteries are wired in series for 24v. That makes it anywhere from 300 to 600 watts, I think. Probably something toward the higher end of that range.

The easiest way to make it go faster is to add a third battery in series and take it up to 36v. The motor and controller can probably handle it. If you are running 15mph now that should push you close to 20mph. The challenge will be finding place for the third battery. Unless your batteries are fresh, I would plan on installing three new batteries when you do the upgrade.

Understand that there is some risk here. The controller and motor will run hotter and there is a risk that you might burn them out. The controller especially will be pushed to its limits.
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:47:38  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
I have 2 brand new batteries, so will it be neccesary?

And if I buy a new controller, will it go faster? or what do the controller do?

Thank you so much for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
If your batteries are fresh you should be ok just adding a third. The controller does many things. It manages the charging of the batteries, it monitors battery voltage and low voltage cutoff, it takes input from the throttle and sends PWM current to the motor.

Definitely changing to a proper 36v controller would be beneficial. It will give you more amps to the motor for better acceleration and hill climbing. It will also help protect your batteries from being overly discharged.
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:57:19  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
Well, I dont think I can fit it into my scooter.
And the motor is _very_ warm with only 2. But I dont know what to do.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  05:45:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by david942k

Well, I dont think I can fit it into my scooter.
And the motor is _very_ warm with only 2. But I dont know what to do.
Thanks!

over volt it and fry somthing..when stuff breaks fix it with better..thats what I do...

Some will say this method may cost you more, but in the end it will git the stuff you absoluty need and well you save not spennding money on dreams and spending it rather on needs

motor will get worm, it is when you smell a synthetic smell coming from the motor...if your motor does not have air holes in it or big enuff ones...drill it, the can will take a lot of holes and still stay strong... this will help keep the heat down about upt to 10-20deg*F fans help too, but I have never been a "fan" of fan use to controll motor heat!

as for controllers look into a nice Kelly conttroller and get one rated for 12-72+ volts, so later you have options for other bikes and scooters...trust me you never keep electric bike the same for too long..it is like a drug once you go faster you want to keep getting faster...30+mph in a silent way is priceless and the look on onlookeds faces is to die for!

Maker of the:
ExVolt1500z(40mph pocketbike)
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
I also use anderson connectors to make fast charger systems using the Series/Parallel method.making a bike 48v12ah system charge in under 45min with just a car charger.
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  05:56:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Scoot

Well, it looks like a Currie brush-type motor to me.

it is a 200-350watt motor in that scooter. she will take 36volts and be about 120*f-150*f at that voltage... dont go up hill wen using 36volts, it will fry the controller..I had a 24v350watt motor running on 36volts and with a 10"tire it did 25mph no sweat...if you ask me buy at least a 36volt motor rated for 500-1000watts, that scooter looks heavy so the normal motor with you and three 12v12ah batteries will puth the scooter weight past 250pounds and there is no 250watt motor that I know of that will not fry having to unleash that kinda torque...you will have to fab a new motor mount if you get a motor with no mount on it stock...I hate TNCscooter.com, but they are the only people that offer that kind off motor you need but get a controller from KellyControllers, dont buy the crappy ones they sell at TNC...you will have to learn how to rebuild controllers if you want to buy the cheepo china ones TNC sells

Maker of the:
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
I also use anderson connectors to make fast charger systems using the Series/Parallel method.making a bike 48v12ah system charge in under 45min with just a car charger.
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  07:57:59  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
Im kinda confused here. I just want to buy something to replace. But I dont know what!
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  17:59:29  Show Profile
ok then install the new batteries and ride it...LOL I just saw all that open space on the frame and droooled you could get a 1000w motor in that bike no problem

Maker of the:
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  03:01:57  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
I just bought new batteries. But can you link me into a 1000W motor?
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:07:39  Show Profile
I know your not state side....but this would be the cheepest in the states...
www.tncscooter.com

I only tell people to buy ther motors...dont buy anything else from them...every thing exp the motors are pulls from broken bikes they sell

Maker of the:
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
Go to Top of Page

david942k
Starting Member

Norway

12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:25:06  Show Profile  Click to see david942k's MSN Messenger address
http://www.tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106115

What do they mean by "geared" motor?
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  13:35:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by david942k

http://www.tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106115

What do they mean by "geared" motor?

it is a gear reduction motor...in other words the output is much slower but has more torque then the motor by its self with out gear reduction system

Maker of the:
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
Go to Top of Page

jtotheace

Charleston
South Carolina
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  12:01:32  Show Profile
Get a 36V 1000watt motor and a 36v controller and throttle. To connect the 3rd battery you need to add it in series with the other ones. you could add a fourth battery and go 48v but then you need a 48v controller so you have the battery voltage light. Order the correct chain for your sprocket type, and a chain cutter. If you buy all that and get it installed correctly you will love your scooter.
Go to Top of Page

ruthlessrider100
Journeyman Modder

walnut creek
california
USA

250 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  07:38:02  Show Profile
Ya that thing needs a 1000w motor..
I would overvolt a 36v to 48 with all that room
My next project is over volting mine with lipo batteries

Modified razor e300, curie phat e (under construction)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: