These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedelectricscooters.com
ModifiedElectricScooters.com

TOYMASTERS of RED BANK, Inc.
TOLL-FREE (877) 456-8697
Razor, Peg Perego, Little Tikes, Safety First and more Parts and Service.
ONLY $6.99 shipping on all orders to lower 48 States

RedBankToys.com
:: Razor & Peg Perego etc Upgrades, Modifications, how to fix
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 Have a Razor e300--Want it TO GO faster!!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  21:12:36  Show Profile
any ideas how to get my razor going faster!
give me any idea im open to all.

Thank you,
Please Reply I need HELP!

ACE

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  05:44:51  Show Profile
i got a few ideas.

you can add one more battery and have it be 36 volt. you would need a 36v controller but the battery and a controller should be it.

dont worry about the motor, it can take it.

or you can change the sprocket sizes...

front one 1 or 2 teeth bigger and the rear 1 or 2 teeth smaller should get you a few mph more.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
electric riding mower project( not fininshed yet)
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  11:29:17  Show Profile
great and how much do think that will add.

like 3-4 mph.
and do u think it will fit.

thanx again.
ACE
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  11:40:24  Show Profile
http://www.partsforscooters.com/All-Parts/Sprockets

I think There is some desent sprockets here.

what would add the most performance?

thanx for the help.

ACE
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  14:26:13  Show Profile
for the most speed i would go with the battery and controller. that will give you more tourqe and speed.

i have found that www.tncscooters.com has the best prices for controllers and www.gruberpower.com has the best batteries. with that said, if you know of a better battery source in your area then that might be your best bet... and you even might be able to get a better price on the web somewhere, but beware of the manufacture date if they are old dont buy them even if there cheap, they will be no good.

any more help, just holler.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  15:30:51  Show Profile
i was thinking if i would ride with a backpack with tools then when i would run out of juice i would switch the batteries and keep riding do u think that would work?
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  15:33:28  Show Profile
sorry for the multiple posts
but what controller do u think would work best for my scooter?
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  15:43:39  Show Profile
AND wat battery
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  18:10:37  Show Profile
multiple post are not a problem, thats how you learn, asking questions.

you would need a 36v controller, like this: http://www.tncscooters.com/YK40-3.php this may not be plug and play, you may have to cut and splice. since you are upgrading sometimes things dont match up, which means you have to figure it out.

batteries-you posted in the battery section about a 10 amp battery. that sounds fine. as long as the new battery is the same size as the old one (which it should be since the old one is a 9amp hour) so it will fit in the well of the scooter that sounds like it will work.

and for the back pack. thats a cool idea, as long as you dont mind toting around extra batteries or you could just plan better as to where you need to go and how far it is.
if you are going to switch out the batts during your run you would need to take the foot plate off so keep those tools handy, it pretty easy with a phillips and a pair of pliers or the correct wrench size.

Edited by - gameboy on 12/26/2007 18:11:44
Go to Top of Page

ace
Starting Member

los angeles
california
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  20:19:11  Show Profile
thank you so much i think i will first get better batteries and use them as a replacement in the backpack.
Will i be able to upgrade to the 36v controller and still run the old batteries on it?
My dad owns an electrical business so i think im good on the electrical work.
thanks again.
.:ACE:.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  04:42:48  Show Profile
if the older batteries arent too old you should be able to just add the third battery to the mix. make sure you when you add the third battery that it is the same amp hour rating. you will kill the other batteries or the new one if there is a different amphour rating.

also once you start running your batteries in groups, dont separate them, keep them together as a group. so you will end up with 2 groups of batteries A and B. also its a very good idea to charge them in parallel now and then. do you have a good float charger? you can get this one at walmart and its cheap. i like them, i have 2.http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=695

this will also give you the option of charging both sets at the same time.

i forgot, you will need a 36volt charger too, only if you want to charge the scooter using the charging port on the side of the scooter. thats up to you though.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

dogie456
Starting Member

sydney
nsw
Australia

14 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  18:25:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gameboy

i got a few ideas.

you can add one more battery and have it be 36 volt. you would need a 36v controller but the battery and a controller should be it.

dont worry about the motor, it can take it.

or you can change the sprocket sizes...

front one 1 or 2 teeth bigger and the rear 1 or 2 teeth smaller should get you a few mph more.

Just beware that if you are very heavy then this will decrease your acceleration power (torque)
Go to Top of Page

beebs9969
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  02:52:38  Show Profile
Hello all, I have recently recieved an E300, while it is wicked fun I am also interested in doing some upgrades. I have done a few quick calcs, and I think with some pretty easy mods I can get this bad boy up to about 38-40kph. The list of changes are as follows:
1)Upgrade to 350W motor (New E300 comes with a 250W)
2)Change the drive sprocket to a 16 tooth sprocket, leave rear alone.

This should be enough to give you the same performance(acceleration, and hill climbing) but with a higher top end speed. Motor power alone won't give you a higher speed, just more torque, speed will come from the gearing(assuming of course you get to top speed on the scooter with the little motor). All of this does come at an expense though, which is battery life. which is why I also think upgrading to the 36v battery pack, and controller and so on is a good idea. This will help keep your current draw down, and extend battery life, in fact it should keep it almost exactly to the same specs, but faster on the top end.

Keep in mind this won't help with hill climbing at all.

As a side question, does anyone know what the resetable fuse is rated at? 20Amps maybe? Mine keeps popping, and I only weigh 165lbs
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  04:19:20  Show Profile
well you hit on some points that i was going to bring up, 36v is the only way that you are going to get the speed that you want, changing the sprockets will get the torque you need and changing the motor to a 350 watt is the best one yet. you will safely be able to over volt the motor to 36v since its 24v currently. the rule of thumb i use is never go over 1 1/2 time the rated voltage.

you will need to post some pics to keep us up to date on the conversion, so we can see exactly how you have done this. this has been brought up a few times and all have come to the conclusion that the e300 is too small to do too many upgrades to.

let us know.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

beebs9969
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  19:16:38  Show Profile
What I was atually thinking was to increase the motor torque, and decrease the gear ratio. right now the gears are at approx 4:1, and I was going to go to 2.75:1, but increase the motor torque to make up the difference. For my wieght, I actually find this scooter quite peppy.

I will definatley keep you guys posted with pictures and so on. I need to find a parts store. I live in Abu Dhabi right now, so shipping is a real pain.

I was looking up batteries this morning, what's the most common way people are getting 36V? Is it through 2-18v packs, or adding a third battery? If it is through 2-18's, where can you gt ones that fit?
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  03:00:55  Show Profile
quote:
what's the most common way people are getting 36V?

most add the third battery, but if your batteries are old you would need to buy all three new. mixing battery capacities, old and new, is a bad thing. the new battery tends to take on the charicteristics of the old batteries when placed in sereies with the old. so you end up buying new batteries anyway.

quote:
I live in Abu Dhabi right

i can see how shipping whould be a pain.

quote:
What I was atually thinking was to increase the motor torque, and decrease the gear ratio

going to 36v will do that, but it will also increase motor speed.

quote:
right now the gears are at approx 4:1, and I was going to go to 2.75:1

if you are planning to increas torque and not speed you would need to increase the gear ratio from 4:1 to like 6:1, if you decrease the ratio to 2.75:1 you would get speed as an end result.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

beebs9969
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  19:14:37  Show Profile
does a third battery fit easily, or is there any mods which need to be done to the battery tray?

I am thinking of doing another project with this scooter as well. Becasue the 36V mod, really seems the way to go, I was debating making my own controller. I was going to add random things like a screen to show speed, battery life, and outside temperature(it gets to something like 55 degrees celcius here in the summer). As well I was thinking to add a Cruise control feature. I ride my scooter to work everyday, and I have a straight stretch of about 2km. In the heat my hand keeps slipping off the throttle. Anyway, I was wondering if I should post this project in a different category? I'm sure others would have insight on things to add, or after I blow it up a few times, ways to fix it.

By the way, thanks for getting back to me on all my posts.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  03:39:45  Show Profile
since the 300 is a small scooter the only mods i have been able to think of are

1. make a raised footplate to allow the three batteries to fit under it.

2. make a saddlebag battery holder that fits over the rear tire. this allows the 3 batteries you need and leaves you some room under the footplate to do all the splicing and controller mods. this way you could also increase the ah of the existing batteries and still have room too.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

beebs9969
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  22:47:51  Show Profile
Has anyone looked into increasing the size of the battery tray? It involves cutting and welding(maybe) but it might be worth it.
Go to Top of Page

beebs9969
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  00:57:50  Show Profile
Has anyone looked into increasing the size of the battery tray? It involves cutting and welding(maybe) but it might be worth it.
Go to Top of Page

ulujm
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  03:42:07  Show Profile
HI
I have a E300 (motor (250W) 2X12V: 7Ah.

I guess that is the default set for an E300.

in the forum I read that by adding a third battery will make the scooter faster. OK! but where to put the battery?
Go to Top of Page

NAVYEM
Apprentice Modder

HOUSTON
TEXAS
USA

52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  05:02:15  Show Profile
i dont see how you can add a 3rd battery in the pan. there is not enought room unless you get smaller batteries. i have upgraded to a 350watt motor and it makes alot of difference on accelaration and maintaining top end speed but max speed is still the same you just accelerate there faster which is perpect for my daugther.

goped esr750ex
razor e-300,200,100
2 cheap 100w chinese scooters
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  07:37:30  Show Profile
i agree with NAVYEM, the pan is too small. you would need to put the battery on the outside somewhere. you would also need to up the controller to a 36v.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c

Edited by - gameboy on 07/16/2008 07:38:00
Go to Top of Page

MistaDee
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  08:54:29  Show Profile
I too have recently purchased my first E300 and am happy with its overall performance ECCEPT for the distance of operation. I was lucky enough to come across a schwinn electric bike which comes with a 450w controller and motor. The controller is awesome and has alot of power. The motor on the other hand has a built in clutch on the drive shaft which dosen't allow operation at this time. I plan on drilling a set screw hole on the gear housing essentially locking it in place. Here is another cool thing about the schwinn motor, the sprocket is double the size of the razors' which also would be a performance gain. After all of the research I have done on this subject lately I will eventually install the Curtis 24-36v/275 amp controller. My goal is to be able to get 45mph+, currently about 15 on initial use after charge, and to be able to use intelligent throttle control to be able to cruze downtown and back, which is approximately 15 miles then I will be satisfied and move on the next project, a full size electric car. Check out the Tesla Motors new one and the Lightining and you'll see where I want to go. have pix of the E300.

107.91 KB

Edited by - gameboy on 08/06/2008 05:35:08
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  05:40:20  Show Profile
i edited your picture so it wasnt so big, if you could in the future keep them to 640x480 and around 100kb that would be great.

your wanting 45 mph and 15 miles travel out of a stand up scooter. buddy if you can do that, i would like to see the rig you get it hooked up too. you would need a very large motor, high amp controller and huge amounts of battery power.

good luck though, let us know how it turns out.

i believe 25-30mph and about 5 mile range is do-able. is that something you can live with?

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

MistaDee
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  18:08:37  Show Profile
opps! Sorry about the pic after I posted it I didn't know how to change it. Anyway to answere your question, yes, I could live with the performance you said was doable. I am very guilty of being an over-optimist.
So I have figured out every aspect of the mod to attain the performance we are disgusing. The first mod will be the Alltrax NPX series controller. It comes in programmable or non programmable 300-400 amp form. It is also one of the most durable of all available controllers being both waterproof and vibration proof. It comes ready for 24-36 volt currents. Now my logic is in my experience in rc which has a rule that amps equals a gas operated vehicles' gas tank. Since this is true, then going from 20 to 400 amps would be 20 times the available power. I do realize though that doesn't mean that I will get 30 mph the entire trip, it does however mean that I could potentially make the 15 mile trip at say 10 mph. This isn't bad on SLA battery power. I wanted Lipo or LiOn battery power but cost is still prohibitive. I have found cool new motors that produce up to 6 kw of power and are fairly priced, this aspect of this project is still in the shopping stage. Moving along the mod list will be the conversion from the original axles to ones that allow the use of high quality bearings. Again just like the rc world, proper bearings make a world of difference in battery life, speed, and durability. Back to the motor, brushless will be the most effecient way to go and the brushless motor controllers that I have found are fairly reasonable, just not in the power range as the one I have picked out already.

21.08 KB
Go to Top of Page

MistaDee
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  18:27:57  Show Profile
Well at least I've narrowed it down to one of two controllers now, either the alltrax or the curtis. I really want the alltrax but the curtis is more practicle. This pic is of the curtis controller.

18.39 KB
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  04:57:22  Show Profile
have you looked at scooter controllers? i bet they are more reasonably priced.

try www.tncscooters.com and look in the parts section. they have about 20 to choose from. ranges from 24-60volts. and they do the same thing your asking for.

as for range, if you could go lipo that would be great, you get twice the battery capacity for the same weight of sla's, but i understand about the affordability of them and how they are out of reach just yet.

keep us informed and post pics(the right size) so we can see the progress.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

gregsgroup
Apprentice Modder

macungie
pa
USA

73 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  05:50:39  Show Profile
Do you guys think that a brushless outrunner motor would work on an e300.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  06:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
I think brush and brushless motors typically require different controllers. Beyond that I have no idea.
Go to Top of Page

gregsgroup
Apprentice Modder

macungie
pa
USA

73 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  11:01:29  Show Profile
Most ones on ebay come with a controller.
Go to Top of Page

Moose
Starting Member

Bayville
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  16:04:32  Show Profile
I have just completed a complete rebuild of my E-300. Just started testing. This might be out of the realm of most people as there was a significant investment but I can post some pictures if you're interested. Some of the specs are a 5500W (7.4hp) brushless motor with a 200A controller and a 12 cell Lipo 10Ah battery. So far I've seen 48mph on GPS (after wiping the tears from my eyes) with a whole lot more throttle to go. I need leathers and a helmet to see full potential. The neat thing is that it all fits in the stock package which is really annoying the kids down the street that have stock E300s. If I can keep the front wheel on the ground I will have more test data soon. Let me know if you're interested in this project!
Go to Top of Page

Moose
Starting Member

Bayville
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  16:26:28  Show Profile
After reading some of the other forums, I see there is some interest in this kind of thing so here are some pics.

191.29 KB

192.51 KB

188.42 KB

143.81 KB
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  05:55:15  Show Profile
OMG...!!! hell ya, im interested. thats crazy fast. 48mph? wow.

how long does the charge last?
how long at sustained high speed will the batteries last.
how fast does it get you there(48mph)
what was the cost of this upgrade( you did say it was expensive)
do you have life insurance? ( you might need it )
in the first pic, what dose the control box with the sprocket and chain attached do?

that was one hell of a first post, welcome to the forum, great ride.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  06:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
Holy cow! That is an outstanding mod. Congrats! This definitely deserves its own thread. I want video!
Go to Top of Page

Moose
Starting Member

Bayville
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  08:56:43  Show Profile
Working out some kinks and working on a video. Basically, I've been looking for a platform to test the idea of using a hobby-type brushless outrunner style motor in an electric vehicle and the E300 was almost perfect for this. The motor mount was made from a piece of 1/4" x 3" steel angle about 4" long which fits the stock mounting holes. The motor is from BP Hobbies and is made by Suppo in China. It's been modified with a longer 10mm shaft so it can be used turned around. Still using the stock #25 chain and freewheel unit (fingers crossed) with pinions from McMaster-Carr with a 3/8 bore opened up to 10mm. I'm still experimenting with ratios but right now it has a theoretical top speed of 56mph. The battery is two 6 cell 10000mah Lipo packs made from cells from MaxAmps R/C. They're only 10c cells so I have to watch the current draw and not go over 100amps for more than a few seconds. Still, 100 amps at a nominal 48v is 4800w or 6.4hp continuous and electric horsepower is nothing like gas motors. The power comes on right now and you can literaly accelerate as fast as you dare twist the throttle and keep the front wheel on the ground. I started out using a Castle Creations HV-110 controller but it proved to be a little small so I'm switching to a Jeti Spin 200 opto. In front of the batteries in the black box is the pulse generator for the conrtoller which is actuated by a motorcycle twist throttle which pulls the chain around the sproket. It also houses a voltage regulator which drops the 50v to 5v to power the pulse generator. Next to that is the shunt for the ammeter on the handlebars. I'm hoping for about a 8-10 mile range at a reasonable speed, I'll post the specifics as I do more testing. I'm not sure that I want to even add up what I have in this scooter which by the way was purchased on eBay for $50, but there's about $500 in batteries, $400 in the controller, $200 in the motor and some more in various other parts. Let me know and I'll be happy to post detailed pics of any of the parts. Thanks for your interest!
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:08:15  Show Profile
give or take 1200.00... holy moly, thats way too rich for my blood. but i am glad to see that if you throw enough money at something, anything is possible and with a stock configuration. way cool.

so if you live only a few mile from where you work, youcould take it to work and get there quick too.

awsome build.

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  06:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
I am still in awe of this project. I knew the motor and batteries would be high, but didn't realize the controller would be so pricey.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
Any updates? Paging Moose...
Go to Top of Page

thejipster
Starting Member

sunnyvale
ca
USA

7 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  10:26:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Scoot

Any updates? Paging Moose...

That is crazy and dangerously fast. I wouldn't even want to go that fast on my bike. Hit a pot hole, you might need to add $$ to the project to cover for hospital bill.

Seriously, that is pretty fast for a scooter w/o shocks.

Be safe. and do post more pics.
Go to Top of Page

gregsgroup
Apprentice Modder

macungie
pa
USA

73 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  14:47:23  Show Profile
WOW 48mph on a e300 THATS SICK You can beat any gas scooter. Do you have a seat kit?

Edited by - gregsgroup on 10/06/2008 14:56:02
Go to Top of Page

jtotheace

Charleston
South Carolina
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  12:33:56  Show Profile
I'm working on my upgrades now. I plan on purchasing 2 11.1v 3900Mah 3s Lithium batteries first with the original speed controller. Then eventually I will get a third battery and go to the 36v setup. I'm trying to decide what discharge rate I need. Anyone have any ideas? Does it really matter? I'm looking for a decent charger to use with them also.

I have already installed a 40mmx10mm fan on the ECU heat sink along with a separate switch to turn it on. I used a resistor to set the voltage back to 12 from the 24v. It works well to cool it. I did it because I had an ECU burn up before. I can put up pics if anyone is interested.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Scoot
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

277 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  05:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Old_Scoot's Homepage
You might want to start your own thread for this project just to keep things cleaner.

Sounds like you are looking at using laptop battery packs? I'm not sure how you go about charging those without a laptop, but if you find out, let us know. They are definitely trickier to charge than SLAs for NiMH cells.

The controller is going to be difficult too I think. Most controllers are looking for 24v and you will be feeding it 22.2. It might not start at all as it will see what it thinks is a nearly dead battery. It definitely will cut out sooner than it should as the voltage begins to sag. It would make your life easier if you can find 12v or maybe 13 or even 14v laptop batteries (if such things exist).

Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  03:54:01  Show Profile
hey moose, hows the testing going? any updates???

"FREE" is always better

minimoto jeepter
razor e300
pukka gx400c
Go to Top of Page

Moose
Starting Member

Bayville
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  16:00:27  Show Profile
Hey! Sorry it's been so long... My project kinda got put in the corner over the winter but I'm at it again. I'm now using a Jeti Spin 200 controller instead of the Castle Creations HV110 which only lasted about 15 mins! I'm still having issues with the Jeti ( I don't think they're softeware is as good). I've changed the gearing a bit and now get a 42 MPH top speed which is plenty fast and I can go abuot 15 miles at about a 30MPH cruise. My biggest problem is charging the two 6S 10000mah lipos. I usually have to do it as four packs of three which takes some time. My charger will do 6S at a time, but the power supply can't keep up. I'll try to post a video soon... it definately gets some looks as I keep up with traffic on secondary roads!
Go to Top of Page

mr_exon
AdvancedModder

622 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  05:28:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Moose

it definately gets some looks as I keep up with traffic on secondary roads!

Sounds great and I can totaly relate to that

Maker of the:
ExVolt1500z(40mph pocketbike)
RazorPR200's(over 10)
RazorMX500
RazorMX350
RazorE150
16hp duel hub 20" bike
I also use anderson connectors to make fast charger systems using the Series/Parallel method.making a bike 48v12ah system charge in under 45min with just a car charger.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
AdvancedModder

Adelaide

Australia

622 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  13:30:03  Show Profile
Yeah WOW! just found this post and similar to what I plan to do.

Its a very neat setup well done.
I love the throttle system and that you've retained the stock chain cover.
I have a couple of questions for you.

Q1: Are you happy with it? (other then controller and weak brake problems)
Q2: is it usefull to you, ie will you keep it and use it all the time?
Q3: is 10Ah enough?
Q$: Can you weigh your E300 for us please?

Edited by - Storm on 05/23/2009 15:36:15
Go to Top of Page

lhomkowicz
Starting Member

kingston
nh
USA

11 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:31:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Moose

... and a 12 cell Lipo 10Ah battery.

What's your battery voltage? 3.6 x 12? Are these 10Ah cells? Are you running at 1C (or only getting 30 min or less to a charge?)

I'm interested in an alternative to SLA, but having trouble learning enuff about batteries & power systems to figure out what I really need for battery specs.

I'm thinking about a 500w, 24v 27.4A motor -
is that amperage right? I always thought Watts = Amps x volts (?).
Or, maybe the 500w 36v motor.
I've been "listening" to what you all have said in this forum, so I know I need controller, circuit breaker, etc... but assuming it's all done correctly (no messing with gears for me), Is it better to go with a 36v motor or over-volt a 24v motor?

How can I determine what amperage (battery discharge rate) I'll need? What about peak (pulse) current draw?

Is it the controller or the Li-Ion PCB that determines the low-voltage cutoff - and how can I tell what that voltage is?

- lori H.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
AdvancedModder

Adelaide

Australia

622 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  13:06:33  Show Profile
The 24v 500w motor will spin faster than its rated speed when run on 36v, both the controller and/or BMS(battery management system) can incorporate LVC.

quote:
I always thought Watts = Amps x volts (?).

You are correct!

Go to Top of Page

JoeStud
Journeyman Modder

rochester
ny
USA

247 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  20:41:07  Show Profile
For experimental purposes... I am rumming a 24v motor on 48 volts... Mr Exon style connectors & car charger. so far so good, but mind you, there is no controller. Just a "lo-hi" momentary switch. It is pretty fast, like mid 20's or faster

***The Main Difference Between Men & Boys, Is Their Toys (Scooters)***
Go to Top of Page

ruthlessrider100
Journeyman Modder

walnut creek
california
USA

250 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  10:33:24  Show Profile
That motor will take 48v like a champ. I ran the crap out of mine @ 48v and it's still kicken

xtreme x-500 36v 750w @48v...Modified razor e300(36v 1000w motor @48v), curie phat e (under construction)
Go to Top of Page

JPSURF
Starting Member

Long Beach
CA
USA

8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:45:24  Show Profile
Bump for the video Moose!!!

JP

Still Play Like A Kid!!
Go to Top of Page

x-tremesc00terscom
Starting Member

Texas
USA

7 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  16:49:49  Show Profile  Visit x-tremesc00terscom's Homepage
Man thats cool how loud is the motor? Also I'm a dealer for the x-treme scooters (and soon for Razor) line and found that a few models like the xb-600 and the ma3000 have some nice controllers and hub motors. That is my goal for my razor pocket mod which is about the same price as mooses project 1200 or so for the 40mph range. but the xb-600 is not as high for the parts 300. for the hub brush less motor and 75 for the controller so if you have room for the hub motor that's way to go or the money and fab skills go for the xm3000. Just think if it will do up to 40 on a 300lb bike imagine what it will do on a scooter that is lighter. From what I have seen its all in the controller of how fast you want to go as well as brush less motors.

Edited by - x-tremesc00terscom on 01/28/2010 03:53:28
Go to Top of Page

gameboy
Administrator

just north of austin
tx
USA

1624 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  04:43:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by x-tremesc00terscom

Also I'm a dealer (and soon for Razor)

did i hear that right???? way cool. how close are you to this? i have been wanting a mx500 for my daughter for a while now and hate trying to find one in the city. cant wait, let us know when this happens.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle D
AdvancedModder

Kailua Kona
H
USA

876 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  13:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Uncle D's Homepage  Send Uncle D a Yahoo! Message
I was curious why the pulse modulator for the throttle? Does an R/C ESC use need a special type of throttle signal to work properly?

I believe my next exciting build will be Hobby grade R/C components--motor/ESC/lipos. Since my build will be of lesser power(1-1.5hp), the price is a lot more affordable, plus things have just gotten cheaper since this Moose's build.

I've searched for the Motor/ESC/Batts and they would come out to $110-150 shipped. However, the throttle I am unsure of. I guess I could always put a multi-meter to my Lost Mini-T to see what the BEC voltage looks like. Just seems like Moose has something more to his throttle setup.

Any input on the throttle will be much appreciated. Thanks

Update: I had more time to research and it seems that R/C ESC uses pulse width to determine throttle range. So the easiet thing is to just use servo tester. Found one for a fairly decent price.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-SRVTST.html

Edited by - Uncle D on 07/17/2010 23:40:07
Go to Top of Page

tomcat
Starting Member

oconomowoc
wi
USA

33 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  22:03:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JoeStud

For experimental purposes... I am rumming a 24v motor on 48 volts... Mr Exon style connectors & car charger. so far so good, but mind you, there is no controller. Just a "lo-hi" momentary switch. It is pretty fast, like mid 20's or faster

***The Main Difference Between Men & Boys, Is Their Toys (Scooters)***

Where did you get the hi low switch from everything I am using is freezing wide open! Total death trap??
Go to Top of Page

Bud
Starting Member

Sydney
NSW
Australia

18 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  04:56:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by beebs9969

Hello all, I have recently recieved an E300, while it is wicked fun I am also interested in doing some upgrades. I have done a few quick calcs, and I think with some pretty easy mods I can get this bad boy up to about 38-40kph. The list of changes are as follows:
1)Upgrade to 350W motor (New E300 comes with a 250W)
2)Change the drive sprocket to a 16 tooth sprocket, leave rear alone.

This should be enough to give you the same performance(acceleration, and hill climbing) but with a higher top end speed. Motor power alone won't give you a higher speed, just more torque, speed will come from the gearing(assuming of course you get to top speed on the scooter with the little motor). All of this does come at an expense though, which is battery life. which is why I also think upgrading to the 36v battery pack, and controller and so on is a good idea. This will help keep your current draw down, and extend battery life, in fact it should keep it almost exactly to the same specs, but faster on the top end.

Keep in mind this won't help with hill climbing at all.

As a side question, does anyone know what the resetable fuse is rated at? 20Amps maybe? Mine keeps popping, and I only weigh 165lbs

So where can you get these 16 tooth sprockets? I can't find them anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle D
AdvancedModder

Kailua Kona
H
USA

876 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  11:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Uncle D's Homepage  Send Uncle D a Yahoo! Message
Surplus Center. You'll may have to modify the sprocket a little, but you can get them to work.

Go to Top of Page

pdrider6890
Starting Member

North - San Diego
California

7 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  02:32:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle D

I was curious why the pulse modulator for the throttle? Does an R/C ESC use need a special type of throttle signal to work properly?

I believe my next exciting build will be Hobby grade R/C components--motor/ESC/lipos. Since my build will be of lesser power(1-1.5hp), the price is a lot more affordable, plus things have just gotten cheaper since this Moose's build.

I've searched for the Motor/ESC/Batts and they would come out to $110-150 shipped. However, the throttle I am unsure of. I guess I could always put a multi-meter to my Lost Mini-T to see what the BEC voltage looks like. Just seems like Moose has something more to his throttle setup.

Any input on the throttle will be much appreciated. Thanks

Update: I had more time to research and it seems that R/C ESC uses pulse width to determine throttle range. So the easiet thing is to just use servo tester. Found one for a fairly decent price.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-SRVTST.html

Uncle D...

Do you have an update on your build? I'm looking for something similar to Moose's build, and if you are getting close to it with a better price then your build might what I'm after...
Go to Top of Page

Uncle D
AdvancedModder

Kailua Kona
H
USA

876 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Uncle D's Homepage  Send Uncle D a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, its in the "Project" section, look for Scooter Medley. Sucker tore up the street and the street tore me up. In its current state, it can do and easy 40+mph.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: